[Update: September 18, 2017] e-people Official Korean Government Response: baffling – blame shifting – unprofessional.
We received a response from a petition submission regarding the Busan Gupo Market Cruelty Case to the Korean Government’s e-people web site; it answered none of our concerns, made little sense and shifted responsibility to other Government offices. The reply was not what we should expect from any official main government-operated site that invites comment from the public, and especially not from the Government of such a wealthy, highly educated country. The least that we should expect is a reasonable, coherent and informed response to our legitimate concerns.
Click HERE for our campaign.
Below is their response:
Results: 1. We thank you for your petition posted on e-People.
2. With regard to your queries about animal persecution, please refer to a response from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. We at Ministry of Food and Drug Safety provides our reply to issue of eating dog meat.
○ Ministry of Food and Drug Safety is responsible for the safety and sanitation of foods, and is dedicated to preventing food safety hazards, promoting qualitative improvement of foods and nutrition, and providing correct information on foods.
○ Issues regarding eating dog meat as you mentioned is a unique eating habit of Korea. Please be informed that prohibition of such habit by laws calls for social consensus.
3. Should you need further assistance, please contact Kim Hyeon-jeong, Food Policy Coordination Division (☎ 043-719-2018).
4. For information regarding foods and drugs, please visit our website (http://www.mfds.go.kr). Thank you.
Organization: Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
Department: Food Policy Coordination Division
Date of processing: 2017.09.19
Staff in Charge: Kim Hyeon-jeong (firstname.lastname@example.org )