Leafleting and Informational Event on South Korean Dog Meat Trade – November 1, 2015 – San Francisco, Fisherman’s Wharf
We had another amazing day of giving a voice to the voiceless South Korean dogs and cats. A big thank you to Elizabeth, Zandra, Kit, Don, Kathy, Yimei and Giny for your dedication to help end the horrific South Korean dog meat trade and spending your Sunday advocating for these South Korean dogs! We are so grateful for your caring hearts and compassion. We showcased our new Spanish leaflets for the visitors from the Spanish speaking countries and the Hispanic Americans not fluent in English. It was very helpful in reaching a new demographic. We also handed out about 500 bumper stickers that read “MAN’S BEST FRIENDS ARE NOT FOOD! KOREANDOGS.ORG”. We were there from 10am until 4pm and handed out about a thousand leaflets. Literally tens of thousands of people walked by and in shock and horror, saw our displays. They lined up in long lines to sign our petition addressed to the South Korean President Geun-Hye Park. We collected 715 petition signatures. We met a couple from Argentina who was appalled to learn about the cruelty and very interested in spreading the word in their country when they return home. So we gave them some extra Spanish leaflets to hand out to their friends and families. Even as we were taking down our displays, people were still lining up, wanting to sign our petition and help these poor dogs.
Anyone can take action to give a voice to the Korean dogs. If you live in the US and would like to organize an event in your city or simply want to hand out our leaflets to your friends, family, and neighbors, contact us and we would be happy to send you our campaign leaflets absolutely free. Campaign materials can also be sent outside the US, but at this time free shipping is available only to US residents due to the high cost of shipping to other countries. Please accept our apologies and our thanks!
Update November 17, 2015: Petition signatures collected have been sent.
Copies of all 249 pages of petition signatures collected since we started collecting signatures at the San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf events (Feb 16, 2014) were sent to the Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon, President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council(UN ECOSOC) Oh Joon, and the South Korean National Assemblywomen Shim Sang-Jeong on November 17, 2015 by United States Postal Service Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation.
Click below for the USPS tracking info:
Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon
United Nations Headquarter, 405 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017 USA
9407 8036 9930 0020 5689 60
President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council(UN ECOSOC) Oh Joon
Ambassador Joon Oh
In care of ECOSOC Secretariat
The United Nations Headquarter
405 East 42nd Street, Room No. S1275
New York, New York 10017 USA
9407 8036 9930 0020 5709 56
South Korean National Assemblywomen Shim Sang-Jeong
Euisadang-daero 1, Euiwonhoegwan No 516
Yeongdeungpo-gu District, Postal Code 07233, Seoul, South Korea
서울 영등포구 의사당대로 1 의원회관 516호(우) 07233
LJ 515 956 754 US
Included also in the packages are as below:
- This blog page
- Event photos
- Photos of South Korean Dog Meat Industry
- Photos and a copy of blog page from “Ansan: 70 Dogs in Hell!”
- KoreanDogs.org campaign leaflets (English and Spanish)
- Our campaign bumper stickers
- Korea Animal Rights Advocates’ campaign post on September 11, 2015, Do you know the current situation of the “meat dog” breeding farms around the country? 전국 개농장의 실태를 알고 계신가요?
- Petition letter addressed to the President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Oh Joon with a copy of the letter to the Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon: “Ending the Dog and Cat Meat Trade should be added to the Global Goals of the UN Economic and Social Council!”
- Korean News, HankukIlbo report on September 10, 2015, “Dog farms – Food garbage is fed to dogs and there are no excrement treatment facility. 분뇨처리장도 없이 쓰레기 먹으며 사는 식용개”