Bucheon’s response to our e-People petition asking to shut down their dog farms 3/26/2021
Investigate it yourself – Bucheon suggests in response to our petition.
Application No.: 1AA-2103-0766524
Application Date: 2021-03-19
Bucheon, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants.
부천시는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
👎🏼 Shameful Bucheon government wants us to do their job. See below for our response.
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge 경기도
staff in charge 박가령
processing date 2021-03-26
result We need evidence on the acts of violation of the dog farms. (the exterior pictures of a dog farms or animal abuse etc…)
Thanks for interesting in our civil administration.
We need you to prepare the evidence on the acts of violation of the dog farms, the evidence like the exterior pictures of a dog farms or animal abuse etc…
According to Korean Law of the Method of Public interest Whistelblowing
Article 8 (Method of Public Interest Whistleblowing)
(1) Any person who intends to file a public interest whistleblowing case shall submit a statement in writing (including electronic documents. Hereinafter referred to as the “written report”), with attachment of evidence on the acts of violation of the public interests to any person in the Article 6 Subparagraphs. The statement shall include the information described in each of the following Subparagraphs:
1. The name, resident registration number, address, contact numbers, etc. of the whistleblower;
2. The name of the person who violated public interest;
3. A factual description of the violation of the public interest;
4. The purport and reason of the public interest whistleblowing.
(2) Notwithstanding Paragraph 1, in the event that there are specific circumstances wherein a written report cannot be submitted, an oral statement may be presented in its stead. In this case, evidence, etc. shall be submitted as well.
Article 10 (Processing of Public Interest Whistleblowing Case)
(1) The examination agency, either upon direct receipt of a public interest whistleblowing case or receipt of a public interest whistleblowing case transferred from the Commission, shall conduct necessary examination about the details thereof.
(2) The examination agency may not launch or may discontinue the examination if the public interest whistleblowing case falls under any of the following Subparagraphs:
1. If the contents of the public interest whistleblowing case are clearly deemed to be false;
2. In the event that the personal information of the public interest whistleblower is not available
3. In the event that the public interest whistleblower fails to supplement his/her written report or supporting materials within a preset period after receiving at least two requests to do so;
4. If a public interest whistleblower reports again, without any justifiable reason, a case for which he/she had already been notified of the processing result thereof;
5. In the event that the contents of the public interest whistleblowing case were publicized through the mass-media, etc., and that there was no new evidence other than the facts that had already been disclosed;
6. In the event that an examination into the violation of the public interest had already begun or had already been completed in accordance with some other Act(s) and subordinate statute(s);
7. In the event that there is no reason for examination as prescribed by Presidential Decree.
So, We need evidence on the acts of violation of the dog farms. You can prepare the evidence like the exterior pictures of a dog farms or animal abuse etc…
You should submit those pictures about evidence on e-mail by 18:00, friday, April 9th, 2021(Korean Time)
If we can’t get the evidence by the time limit, We will send e-mail to you one more.
We responded as below:
To: City of Bucheon,
To Bucheon City Hall:
I strongly reject the assertion that public interest whistleblowing applies to the issues raised in my petition.
It is well-documented that laws and regulations relate to the following—how food waste may or may not be used/repurposed (in agriculture) and what the minimum requirements are for animal welfare (whether in intensive agriculture or not).
This issue is out of bounds for public interest whistleblowing as the whistle has already been blown by me, and many NGOs and other concerned citizens. It is now up to you — the local government of Bucheon — to investigate compliance with local laws and regulations. This is your responsibility, and your responsibility alone.
The terms and conditions upon which the e-People petition service operates clearly state that a person may file a petition with the Korean Administrative Agencies with regard to the requirement that such administrative agencies act on other matters such as lack of enforcement of existing laws.
I have raised my petition with a number of other local government constituencies and the majority have provided a full written response to the issues raised in my petition (regardless of the fact that I strongly disagree with the basis on which their responses were made).
1. Why is Bucheon different from other constituencies on this issue?
2. Why is Bucheon asking that citizens and not civil service officials working for the government be tasked with inspecting and obtaining such evidence?
I maintain that Bucheon’s response to my petition is misdirected and an abdication of its civic duty and responsibility. Local government officials and the police are required to monitor compliance and enforce the law. The local government is responsible for inspecting each facility and taking action against any violation of laws or civil codes.
If you are not familiar with your country’s laws regarding the illegality of the dog meat industry, I advise you to refer to the following: 개식용 종식을 위한 법규 안내집이 발간되었습니다! https://www.ekara.org/activity/against/read/7537
I await your reply to the above.