Daejeon Jung-gu’s response to our e-People petition
Application No.: 1AA-2010-0474122
Application Date: 2020-10-18
Daejeon Jung-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
대한민국 대전광역시 중구는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge 대전광역시
staff in charge 조원배
processing date 2020-10-27
result (Korean) 1. Thank you for your interest in our animal protection policy. In our understanding, the point of the complaint you submitted to the Korea’s e-People must be about “ban on eating dog and cat meat”
2. Controversies regarding dog meat in Korea have been raised for a long time. Recently, as the population of raising pets passed the 10-million line, people of Korea have cultivated the awareness that dogs are a part of families, not mere properties, and as the general awareness for pets has been enhanced, more and more negative opinions regarding dog meat consumption are spreading.
3. However, in the “Animal Protection Act”, there is no regulation on eating dog or cat meat. And as dogs are not listed as livestock by “Sanitary Processing of Livestock Products Act”, the appropriate laws for slaughtering, processing, and selling of dog meat are not applied.
4. As the dog meat industry has remained for a long time in Korea, it is difficult to enact prohibition laws in short time. This is a task of Korea that must be solved step by step through pan-governmental policies and negotiations. We hope that this problem will be resolved and we will do our best.
5. Our city is promoting various advanced policies to further enhance the welfare of animals. For example, the animal shelter run by our city accepts about 5,000 lost animals every year, and provides necessary measures, such as diagnosis, vaccination, first aids, and treatments. Also, we are facilitating various projects to protect animals, such as dog registration service and Trap-Neuter-Return program for stray cats, in order to create the environment where people and animals coexist harmoniously.
6. As our city wishes to endeavor its best to actualize animal protection and welfare, thank you again for your interest in animal protection policy in our city.