Incheon Bupyeong-gu’s response to our e-People petition
Application No.: 1AA-2010-0151239
Application Date: 2020-10-07
Incheon Bupyeong-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
대한민국 인천광역시 부평구는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge 인천광역시
staff in charge
processing date 2020-10-19
[주관부서] : 경제환경국 경제지원과
[답변일자] : 2020-10-19 16:47:48
[작성자] : 이성룡
[전화번호] : 032-509-6555
[이메일] : [email protected]
[답변내용] : 1. How are you? We will inform you of the review result of the petition you filed through the National Newspaper.
2. Your complaint will be understood as an inquiry about “Illegal Dog Farm Closure and Request for Prohibition of Dog Meat Distribution”.
3. The opinions we reviewed on your inquiry are as follows.
○ The controversy over the Korean canine culture has been around for decades in Korea as well as overseas. Recently, the number of companion animals in Korea has exceeded 10 million, and the perception that companion animals, including dogs, are not possessions, has spread widely throughout society. As a result, demand for dog meat has dropped sharply, and the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and restaurants has declined compared to the past.
○ The current 「Livestock Sanitation Control Act」 regulates livestock that must be slaughtered in accordance with the law, but because dogs are not included in the livestock defined by the law, legal restrictions on the slaughter process are not possible. However, in accordance with the public opinion on the ban on dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making efforts in various ways, such as revision of the law and policy making, and if the Dog Meat Ban Act is established in the future, Bupyeong-gu will also cooperate to eradicate dog eating according to the law.
○ In addition, Bupyeong-gu is promoting various policies to protect animals and improve welfare. The Animal Protection Center pays management fees to rescue and manage 1,000 abandoned animals a year, and the adoption culture is revitalized by paying disease treatment and diagnosis fees to those who adopt abandoned animals. We will continue to strive to create a city where both humans and animals can live happily.
○ We promise that Bupyeong-gu will promote better policies for animal protection in the future, and thank you again for your interest in our animal protection policy.
4. We hope that your question has been answered satisfactorily, and if you need further explanation on the content of the answer, please contact the Animal Protection Team (☎032-509-6555), Bupyeong-gu, Incheon Metropolitan City, and we will be kindly informed. Thank you.
Leave a Reply