Incheon Dong-gu’s response to our e-People petition
Application No.: 1AA-2010-0152120
Application Date: 2020-10-07
Incheon Dong-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
대한민국 인천광역시 동구는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge 인천광역시
staff in charge
processing date 2020-10-13
[주관부서] : 자치행정국 일자리경제과
[답변일자] : 2020-10-13 07:32:12
[작성자] : 전영섭
[전화번호] : 032-770-6384
[답변내용] : 1. May you prosper.
2. ○ This is a response to your petition titled ‘Immediate action to crack down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants’. (Applications No.202010121125166558)
○ The controversy over Korea’s dog-eating culture has lasted for decades at both home and abroad. Recently, the number of companion animals in Korea has surpassed 10 million, and the perception that companion animals, including dogs, are part of the family not the property has spread across Korean society. Accordingly, the demand for dog meat has dropped sharply and the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and dog meat restaurants has greatly declined. Thus, these facilities are hardly seen these days compared to the past.
○ The current Livestock Hygiene Control Act of Korea defines the livestock that must be slaughtered in accordance with the law. However, as dogs are not included in such livestock specified in the law, imposition of legal restrictions against the dog slaughter process is currently not available. However, in a response to the public request on banning dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making multi-faceted efforts, such as the amendment of the relevant law and policy-making. The Incheon Dong-gu council assures you that it would fully cooperate in eradicating dog meat consumption when the national dog meat prohibition law is enacted in the future.
○ In addition, Incheon Dong-gu council is implementing various policies to protect animals and improve their welfare. It grants the animal care expenses to the local animal protection centers for them to rescue and care approximately 250 abandoned animals every year, and promotes the animal adoption culture by supporting the animal disease treatment and diagnosis expenses for those who adopt the abandoned animals. The Incheon Dong-gu district will continue to make efforts to create a city where both humans and animals live happily. The Dong-gu district promises you that it will continue to pursue better policies to protect animals going forward. Thank you very much for your kind interest in our animal protection measures.
○ We hope that our answer could relieve your anxiety about dogs, and if you have further inquiries about Dong-gu District’s animal protection policies, please contact the Animal Protection and Welfare Management Team (☎032-770-6384) of Incheon Dong-gu district office. Thank you.