Incheon’s response to our e-People petition
Application No.: 1AA-2008-0001238
Application Date: 2020-08-01
Incheon, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
대한민국 인천광역시는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge INCHEON METROPOLITAN CITY
인천광역시staff in charge 오승택contact 032-440-4433
processing date 2020-08-25
result (Korean) 1. 국민신문고 신청번호1AA-2008-0001238(2020.8.1.)와 관련된 문서입니다.
2. 국민신문고에 접수된 불법 개농장 폐쇄 및 개고기 유통 금지 요청(외국어 민원)에 대해 [붙임2,3]과 같이 답변을 게시하고자 합니다.
붙임 1. 민원신청서 1부
2. 국민신문고 답변(영어) 1부.
3. 국민신문고 답변(한글) 1부. 끝.
Epeople answer for petition 20200824(korean).hwp 다운로드
Epeople answer for petition 20200824(english).docx 다운로드
Guide to Petition Handling Results
1. Information on Civil Petitioner
Name Giny Woo
Application No. 1AA-2008-0001238
Date of Application 2020-08-01
2. Civil Petition Results
Summary of requested petition ○ Explanation for dog meat debate in Korea
○ Introduction about Incheon’s animal protection policies
Results ○ I’ll reply to your petition for illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, and market closure (Applications No. 1AA-2008-0001238)
○ The controversy over Korea’s dog meat culture has lasted not only in foreign countries but also in South Korea for decades. Recently, the number of pet owners in Korea exceeded 10 million, and the perception that pets, including dogs, are family and not property has spread throughout the country. The demand for dog meat has dropped sharply, and that the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and restaurants have declined so drastically, so it is hard to be find them, these day.
○ The current Livestock Hygiene Control Act defines livestock that must be slaughtered according to the Act, but the dog is not included in livestock by that law. So according to the law, the slaughtering process of dog can’t stipulate not only legal but also illegal. However, according to the public request on banning dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making various efforts, including revision of the law and policy-making, and when a ban on dog meat is prepared in the future, the Incheon Metropolitan Government will also cooperate to eradicate dog meat according to the law.
○ In addition, Incheon Metropolitan City is implementing various policies to protect animals and improve their welfare. Our local government provides animal management expenses to animal protection center(also known as “the center” so that 6,500 abandoned animals can be rescued and managed annually. And there are incentive pays for people who adopt abandoned animals from “the center”. Our local government will work hard to create Incheon as the city where both people and animals can live happily. Thank you again for your interest in Incheon’s animal protection policy.
○ We hope that our answer could relieve your anxiety about dogs, and if you have more questions about Incheon’s animal protection policies, please contact the Animal protection and welfare management Team (☎032-440-4433) of Incheon Metropolitan City. Thank you.
Organization Incheon metropolitan city
Department Distribution of Agricultural product
Date of processing 2020.8.24.
Staff in Charge Oh seungtaek , Executive officer ([email protected])