Response from Daejeon Dong-gu
We have received the response below from the Daejeon Dong-gu’s Livelihood Support Division, Economy Department regarding our campaign/petition:Daejeon Dong-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants.
In their response, they had promised that they will “strengthen the inspection”. but can we trust their words? We will believe it when we can see the number of dog meat restaurants decrease in their district.
Shown below are two search results on Naver (the most popular search engine in Korea) – the first one was for so-called “Health Food Shops” which commonly sell dog elixirs and cat elixirs (also known as dog soju and cat soju); and the second one was for “dog meat restaurants”.
The searches resulted in: 107 Health Food Shops; and 40 dog meat restaurants in and within the vicinity of Daejeon Dong-gu.
Our campaign is effective because now they are aware that the eyes of the world are watching their district’s dog meat industry and would bring this issue to the attention of their governments for action. Let’s keep up the pressure by taking action!
Before you buy a product from Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, or LG, or visit Korea and spend your hard-earned money there, please remember how the Korean government is supporting criminals in the cruel dog meat industry by turning a blind eye to the unimaginable suffering of millions of sentient animals.
Response from Daejeon Dong-gu:
Summary of requested petition: Inspection request for dog meat
1. Thank you for your request.
2. We will respond to your request for inspection of illegal dog farms and slaughterhouses submitted through the National Newspaper.
3. We will strengthen the inspection of the companies currently operating in our district to take action in accordance with the relevant laws if any companies are found to be operating illegally in the company you have raised.
4. If you have any other questions, please contact Donggu Office Economic Affairs at 042-251-4647 and we will be happy to answer them. Thank you.
Organization: Donggu Office, Daejeon”
Department: Department of Economics
Date of processing: 2019-04-15
Staff in Charge: Kim Min-ji ( [email protected],kr)
대전광역시 동구 생활지원국 경제과
김민지 contact +82-042-251-4647
1. 구정에 관심가져주셔서 감사합니다.
2. 귀하께서 국민신문고를 통해 제출하신 불법적인 개농장, 도축장 등의 점검요청에 대하여 답변드리겠습니다.
3. 현재 우리구에서 영업중인 업체들을 대상으로 점검을 강화하여 귀하께서 제기하여 주신 사항에 대하여 불법적으로 운영되고 있는 업체가 발견될 경우 관련 법에 의거 조치하도록 하겠습니다.
4. 기타 궁금하신 사항에 대해서는 동구청 경제과(042-251-4647)로 연락주시면 성심껏 답변 드리겠습니다. 감사합니다
Let’s keep taking actions until Daejeon Dong-gu bans the dog and cat meat industry.