Response from Daejeon Seo-gu
We have received the response below from the Daejeon Seo-gu’s Welfare Industrial Division, Sanitation Department regarding our campaign/petition:Daejeon Seo-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants.
This response is a typical one from Korean government, which states; basically that they will do nothing, and they can do nothing, about the dog and cat meat industry and its inherent cruelty. They didn’t even bother to examine the laws that we have listed in our petition.
Shown below are two search results on Naver (the most popular search engine in Korea) – the first one was for so-called “Health Food Shops” which commonly sell dog elixirs and cat elixirs (also known as dog soju and cat soju); and the second one was for “dog meat restaurants”.
The searches resulted in: 89 Health Food Shops and 48 dog meat restaurants in and within the vicinity of Daejeon Seo-gu.
Our campaign is effective because now they are aware that the eyes of the world are watching their district’s dog meat industry and would bring this issue to the attention of their governments for action. Let’s keep up the pressure by taking action!
Before you buy a product from Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, or LG, or visit Korea and spend your hard-earned money there, please remember how the Korean government is supporting criminals in the cruel dog meat industry by turning a blind eye to the unimaginable suffering of millions of sentient animals.
Response from Daejeon Seo-gu:
Results – We appreciate your interest in public health administration for developing a healthy entertainment and culture. Please find below our reply to your petition submitted through the e-People portal:
– You are informed that there exists no provision to regulate the supply to or cooking of dog meat at a restaurant since dogs do not fall under the category of livestock for human consumption under the Livestock Products Sanitary Control Act based on Article 44 of the Food Sanitation Act.
– For further information, please contact Sanitation Section, Daejeon Seo-gu Office (☏042-288-3352). Thank you.
Organization Seo-gu Office, Daejeon
Department Sanitation Section
Date of processing
Staff in Charge Seong-hun Lee ([email protected])
대전광역시 서구 복지산업국 위생과
○ 건전한 접객문화 조성을 위하여 위생행정에 대한 관심에 감사를 드리며, 귀하가 국민신문고에 제기하신 민원사항에 대하여 다음과 같이 답변 드립니다.
○ 민원에 대하여 검토결과 식품위생법 제44조 규정에 따른 축산물위생관리법 상 개는 가축에 해당 되지 않아 누구나 도축을 하고 식당에 납품 또는 조리하여도 처분할 수 있는 근거, 규정이 없음을 알려드립니다.
○ 기타 문의사항에 대하여는 대전 서구청 위생과(☏042-288-3352)로 문의하여 주시기 바랍니다.
대전광역시 서구 위생과장
Let’s keep taking actions until Daejeon Seo-gu bans the dog and cat meat industry.