Response from Incheon Gyeyang-gu
We have received the response below from the Incheon Gyeyang-gu’s Economy and Environment Division, Regional Economy Department regarding our campaign/petition:Incheon Gyeyang-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants.
Their response was deceptive, in order to absolve themselves from blame. They had also understated the magnitude of their dog and cat meat industry and had also stated that if the proposed legislation banning the dog meat trade is passed, they will enforce these laws. But what are they doing to help pass this proposed legislation?
Shown below are two search results on Naver (the most popular search engine in Korea) – the first one was for so-called “Health Food Shops” which commonly sell dog elixirs and cat elixirs (also known as dog soju and cat soju); and the second one was for “dog meat restaurants”.
The searches resulted in: 99 Health Food Shops; and 44 dog meat restaurants in and within the vicinity of Incheon Gyeyang-gu.
Our campaign is effective because now they are aware that the eyes of the world are watching their district’s dog meat industry and would bring this issue to the attention of their governments for action. Let’s keep up the pressure by taking action!
Before you buy a product from Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, or LG, or visit Korea and spend your hard-earned money there, please remember how the Korean government is supporting criminals in the cruel dog meat industry by turning a blind eye to the unimaginable suffering of millions of sentient animals.
Response from Incheon Gyeyang-gu:
Summary of requested petition
○ Explanation for dog meat debate in Korea
○ Introduction about Gyeyang-gu’s animal protection policies
○ I’ll reply to your petition for illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and market closure
○ The controversy over Korea’s dog meat culture has lasted not only in foreign countries but also in South Korea for decades. Recently, the number of pet owners in Korea exceeded 10 million, and the perception that pets, including dogs, are family and not property has spread throughout the country. The demand for dog meat has dropped sharply, and that the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and restaurants have declined so drastically, so it is hard to be find them, these day.
○ The current Livestock Hygiene Control Act defines livestock that must be slaughtered according to the Act, but the dog is not included in livestock by that law. So according to the law, the slaughtering process of dog can’t stipulate not only legal but also illegal. However, according to the public request on banning dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making various efforts, including revision of the law and policy-making, and when a ban on dog meat is prepared in the future, Gyeyang-gu will also cooperate to eradicate dog meat according to the law.
○ In addition, Gyeyang-gu is implementing various policies to protect animals and improve their welfare. Our local government provides animal management expenses to animal protection center(also known as “the center” so that 750abandoned animals can be rescued and managed annually. And there are incentive pays for people who adopt abandoned animals from “the center”. Our local government will work hard to create Gyeyang-gu as the city where both people and animals can live happily. Thank you again for your interest in Gyeyang-gu’s animal protection policy.
○ We hope that our answer could relieve your anxiety about dogs, and if you have more questions about Gyeyang-gu, please contact regional economy department(☎032-450-6844) of Gyeyang-gu office. Thank you.
Organization Gyeyang-gu office, Incheon Metropolitan City
Department Regional economy department
Date of processing 2019-04-09
Staff in Charge Gwonsohee(podungvet @korea.kr)
인천광역시 계양구 경제환경국 지역경제과
권소희 contact +82-
[주관부서] : 경제환경국 지역경제과
[답변일자] : 2019-04-09 09:53:00
[작성자] : 권소희
[전화번호] : 0324506844
[이메일] : [답변내용] :
○ 귀하께서 국민신문고를 통해 신청하신 불법 개고기 관련 시설 폐쇄 청원서에 대하여 답변 드리겠습니다.
○ 대한민국의 개식용 문화에 대한 논란은 해외뿐만 아니라 국내에서도 수십 년 전부터 지속되어왔습니다. 최근에는 국내에 반려동물 인구수가 천만 명을 넘어섰고 개를 포함한 반려동물은 소유물이 아닌 가족이라는 인식이 사회 전반에 널리 확산되었습니다. 이로 인해 개고기에 대한 수요는 급감했으며, 식용견 농장이나 도살장, 식당 등도 과거에 비해 찾아보기 어려울 만큼 그 수가 감소했음을 알려드립니다.
○ 현행 「축산물위생관리법」에서는 법에 따라 도축해야하는 가축을 규정하고 있으나, 개는 해당 법에서 정의하는 가축에 포함되지 않기 때문에 도축 과정에 대한 법적 제제가 불가합니다. 하지만 개고기 금지에 대한 국민적인 여론에 따라 대한민국 정부나 국회에서도 법 개정, 정책 입안 등 다방면으로 노력하고 있으며 향후 개고기 금지법이 마련되면 계양구에서도 법에 따라 개 식용을 근절할 수 있도록 협조하겠습니다.
○ 아울러 계양구에서는 동물보호 및 복지 향상을 위해 다양한 정책을 추진하고 있습니다. 동물보호센터에서 연간 750마리의 유기동물을 구조하고 관리할 수 있도록 관리비용을 지급하고 있으며 유기동물을 입양하는 사람에게 질병치료·진단비를 지급하여 입양 문화를 활성화하고 있습니다. 앞으로도 사람과 동물 모두 행복하게 살 수 있는 도시를 조성하기 위해 노력하겠습니다.
○ 앞으로도 계양구에서는 동물보호를 위한 더 나은 정책을 추진할 것임을 약속드리며, 우리 구 동물보호 정책에 대한 관심을 주신 귀하께 다시 한 번 감사드립니다.
○ 귀하의 질문에 만족스러운 답변이 되었기를 바라며 답변 내용에 대한 추가 설명이 필요한 경우 계양구청 지역경제과(☎ 032-450-6844)로 연락 주시면 친절히 안내드리겠습니다. 감사합니다.
Let’s keep taking actions until Incheon Gyeyang-gu bans the dog and cat meat industry.