Incheon’s response to our e-People petition 7/23/21
Application No.: 1AA-2107-0687481
Application Date: 2021-07-15
Incheon, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
인천시는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge INCHEON METROPOLITAN CITY 인천광역시
staff in charge 최재연
processing date 2021-07-23
result 귀하의 민원에 붙임과 같이 답변 드립니다.
Attachment 210721-Response to Civil Petition.docx 다운로드
210721-Epeople answer for petition(korean).hwp 다운로드
End date 2021-07-23 23:59:59
Response to Civil Petition
Summary of Petition
○ Explanation on dog meat debate in Korea
○ Introduction of Incheon’s animal protection policy
○ This is a response to your petition titled ‘Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets’. (Applications No. 1AA-2103-0821559)
○ The controversy over Korea’s dog-eating culture has lasted for decades at both home and abroad. Recently, the number of companion animals in Korea has surpassed 10 million, and the perception that companion animals, including dogs, are part of the family not the property has spread across Korean society. Accordingly, the demand for dog meat has dropped sharply and the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and dog meat restaurants has greatly declined. Thus, these facilities are hardly seen these days compared to the past.
○ The current Livestock Hygiene Control Act of Korea defines the livestock that must be slaughtered in accordance with the law. However, as dogs are not included in such livestock specified in the law, imposition of legal restrictions against the dog slaughter process is currently not available. However, in a response to the public request on banning dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making multi-faceted efforts, such as the amendment of the relevant law and policy-making. The Incheon Metropolitan City government assures you that it would fully cooperate in eradicating dog meat consumption when the national dog meat prohibition law is enacted in the future.
○ In addition, Incheon Metropolitan City is implementing various policies to protect animals and improve their welfare. It grants the animal care expenses to the local animal protection centers for them to rescue and care approximately 6,500 abandoned animals every year, and promotes the animal adoption culture by supporting the animal disease treatment and diagnosis expenses for those who adopt the abandoned animals. The Incheon city will continue to make efforts to create a city where both humans and animals live happily. The city government promises you that it will continue to pursue better policies to protect animals going forward. Thank you very much for your kind interest in our animal protection measures.
○ We hope that our answer could relieve your anxiety about dogs, and if you have further inquiries about Incheon’s animal protection policies, please contact the Animal Protection and Welfare Management Team (☎032-440-4379) of Incheon Metropolitan City. Thank you.
Organization Incheon Metropolitan City Government
Department Agricultural Products Distribution Division
Date of processing 21 July. 2021
Staff in Charge Jae yeon Choi , Senior Manager ([email protected])