Response from Ulsan Ulju-gun
We have received the response below from the Ulsan Ulju-gun’s Economy Industrial Division, Livestock and Fisheries Department regarding our campaign/petition:Ulsan Ulju-gun, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants.
In summary, they state that they have done, and will do, nothing to end the horrific cruelty of the dog meat industry. Their response is unbelievably callous.
Before you buy a product from Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, or LG, or visit Korea and spend your hard-earned money there, please remember how the Korean government is supporting criminals in the cruel dog meat industry by turning a blind eye to the unimaginable suffering of millions of sentient animals.
Response from Ulsan Ulju-gun:
1. Greetings! We are writing to inform you of the result of the review of the civil complaint (No.1AA-1901-099144) that you lodged through the e-People portal.
2. Your petition is understood to concern the ‘illegal breeding and slaughtering of dog meat.’
3. Our response to your question is as follows:
First, dogs do not fall under the definition of livestock as provided under Article 2 of the Livestock Sanitary Control Act. Therefore, dogs are not subject to the provisions of the above Act regarding “illegal breeding and slaughtering”.
Also, in relation to Article 8, paragraph 1, subparagraph 4 of the Animal Protection Act, Article 4 of the Enforcement Rules of the Act (Prohibition of Abuse) does not specify the slaughter of dogs for human consumption in the acts prescribed by the ordinance of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (MAFRA) and does not provide grounds for the punishment thereof.
Therefore, regarding the slaughter of dogs for food purposes, it is not currently possible for the city hall or the county office to address the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs or the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety about your concerns, or resolve them.
4. We hope that you will find our answer to your question satisfactory. If you require any further explanation of the contents of our response, please contact, public servant in the Livestock fisheries Department of Ulju County Office (☏052-204-1634), and we will advise you kindly. Thank you.
Let’s keep taking actions until Ulsan Ulju-gun bans the dog and cat meat industry.
Our campaign is effective because now they are aware that the eyes of the world are watching what’s going on in their city’s dog meat industry and bring this issue the attention and action from their government. Let’s keep up the pressure by taking action!
Below is our comments on the satisfaction survey regarding their response:
We are not satisfied with the response to our petition, due to the following key reasons:
it fails to substantiate and evidence what direct actions Ulsan Ulju-gun is taking to enforce existing laws to disrupt the entrenched dog meat trade in South Korea. We have not been provided, in this response, with any evidence of any direct actions taken by Ulsan Ulju-gun, such as recorded information relating to inspections, monitoring and actual enforcement action taken against violators, in relation to dog meat farming, slaughterhouses and businesses selling dog meat and dog meat products (such as dog meat soup, dog elixir and dog soju); and
it fails to show what actions Ulsan Ulju-gun is taking to support the proposed legislation in the National Assembly that will help end the dog and cat meat trade.
Response from Ulsan Ulju-gun in Korean:
울산광역시 울주군 경제산업국 축수산과
연성우 contact +82-052-204-1634
○ 평소 군정발전에 협조해 주신데 대하여 감사드립니다.
○ 귀하의 질의해주신 내용은 “불법개농장, 도축장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라.”에 대한 내용으로 판단됩니다.
○ 귀하의 질의사항에 대하여 검토한 의견은 다음과 같습니다.
– 우선 개는 축산물위생관리법 제2조에 의거 가축에 해당하지 않습니다. 따라서 개는 불법사육 및 도축과 관련하여 처벌대상이 아닙니다.
또한 동물보호법 제8조제1항제4호와 관련하여 동법 시행규칙 제4조(학대행위의금지)에서 농림축산식품부령으로 정하는 행위에 식용을 위한 개의 도축은 명시되어 있지 않으므로 처벌할 수 있는 근거 규정이 아닙니다.
따라서 식용을 목적으로 하는 개의 도살과 관련하여서는 지자체에서 해결할 수 없으며 농림축산식품부 또는 식품의약품안전처에 문의하시기 바랍니다.
○ 기타 문의사항이 있으신 경우 울주군청 축수산과 가축방역팀(052-204-1634)으로 연락주시면 안내해드리도록 하겠습니다. 끝.