Leafleting and Informational Event on South Korean Dog Meat Trade – September 27, 2015 – San Francisco, Fisherman’s Wharf
We had another amazing day of giving a voice to the voiceless South Korean dogs and cats. A big thank you to Elizabeth, Zandra, Kit, Daniela, Orso the Goldie Activist, Don, Linda and Giny for your dedication to help end the horrific South Korean Dog Meat Trade and spending your Sunday advocating for the South Korean dogs in the meat trade! We are so grateful for your caring hearts and compassion. The normal high foot traffic was at least doubled because this weekend was in the middle of fall break for some of the local area school districts. This was definitely good news for us!! We were there from 10am until 4pm and handed out more than 1,200 leaflets. Literally tens of thousands of people walked by and saw our displays in shock and horror and lined up in long lines to sign our petition addressed to the South Korean President Geun-Hye Park. We collected 954 petition signatures. (WOW! we keep breaking our record!). We also met with Mr. Doulat Jain who is a member of the Animal Welfare Board of India (Ministry of Environment & Forests) and his colleagues in the ministry who stopped by to give us their support. They were in town for an international convention being held in San Francisco for the Animal Welfare organizations. Mr. Doulat expressed how terrible he feels to learn about the Korean dog meat industry and promised to spread the word about the Korean dogs upon his return to India. We also met with couple of tourists who wanted to hand out our leaflets in their town and gave us their addresses so that we can ship them our campaign leaflets. Even as we were taking down our displays, people were still lining up, wanting to sign our petition. People of the world wanted to help these poor dogs with their signatures on the petition. We also received several small donations that totaled $30. We added $100 and donated a total of $130 to Nami Kim and the SaveKoreanDogs activists in Seoul, South Korea, who are fighting hard to end the dog meat trade and rescue the dogs from the dog meat industry.
Anyone can take action to give a voice to the Korean dogs. If you live in the US and would like to organize an event in your city or simply want to hand out our leaflets to your friends, family, and neighbors, contact us and we would be happy to send you our campaign leaflets absolutely free. Campaign materials can also be sent outside the US, but at this time free shipping is available only to US residents due to the high cost of shipping to other countries. Please accept our apologies and our thanks!
Update October 2, 2015: Petition signatures collected have been sent.
Petition signatures collected were sent to the South Korean President Geun-Hye Park, South Korean Democratic Party Leader Han-Gil Kim, and the South Korean Ambassador Ho-Young Ahn in Washington D.C. on October 2, 2015.
Click below for the USPS tracking info:
South Korean President Geun-Hye Park
1 Cheongwa-daero, Jongro-gu, Seoul 03048, Republic of Korea
LJ 515 802 568 US
South Korean Democratic Party Leader Han-Gil
Yeongdeungpo-gu, Gukhoedae-ro 70-gil (Parliament Road 70), 12 Daesan Building Floor 10, Floor 12, Seoul, South Korea
LJ 515 802 599 US
South Korean Ambassador Ho-Young Ahn in Washington D.C.
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
2450 Massachusetts Avenue N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008, USA
9405 8036 9930 0082 6842 80
Included also in the packages are as below:
- This blog page
- Event photos
- Photos of South Korean Dog Meat Industry
- KoreanDogs.org campaign leaflets
- Our campaign t-shirt
- Dog farms in South Korea – Video by Nami Kim and SaveKoreanDogs
- Korea Animal Rights Advocates’s campaign post on September 11, 2015, Do you know the current situation of the “meat dog” breeding farms around the country? 전국 개농장의 실태를 알고 계신가요?
- Korea Animal Rights Advocates’s campaign post on July 13, 2015, [First phase of the campaign to end the dog meat consumption and dog slaughter] Report the dog farms that feed food garbage to the dogs to the government agencies! [개식용/개도살 중지를 위한 준법 캠페인 1탄]음식쓰레기를 먹이는 개사육장을 행정기관에 신고해 주세요!
- Korea Animal Rights Advocates’s campaign post on August 12, 2015, [The Tragedy of Malbok (the last of three dog eating days of summer in South Korea)] Gimcheon dog farm slaughtered and donated dogs to the village residents for their party at the village community center. Villagers throw the pot upside down in anger!! [말복의비극]김천 개농장 개도살해서 마을회관에 개고기파티용으로 상납, 마을주민이 솥단지 엎어!!(사진주의)
- Korean News, HankukIlbo report on September 10, 2015, Dog farms – Food garbage is fed to dogs and there are no excrement treatment facility. 분뇨처리장도 없이 쓰레기 먹으며 사는 식용개
Leave a Reply