PyeongChang 2018 Athletes, Please speak out against animal cruelty!
Countdown to PyeongChang 2018
The countdown to PyeongChang 2018 has begun. On their website, there is now a list of all the participating athletes. Let's ask these athletes to speak out against the cruel dog and cat meat trade in South Korea and help save the millions of animals each year that suffer from horrific brutality and mass slaughter.
Here is how:
1. Click HERE for the Athletes page.
2. Select a Sports category from "Sports" column, then click "Search".
3. You will see the list of athletes competing. Click on each name and scroll down to the bottom for their personal/public social media accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Click on each of these social media accounts.
4. Send them a message such as the sample message below.
5. For the suggested message translations in other languages, click HERE and then scroll down.
1. If you don't plan on covering all the athletes in each sports event, please try choose a sports event from the middle or towards the bottom of the list. Most people will likely go from top to bottom in order. That means some athletes will receive multiple messages and some athletes may not get any.
2. China restricts social media and therefore, Chinese athletes do not have Facebook accounts. You can save time by skipping Chinese athletes.
Your action may touch their hearts.
PyeongChang, South Korea, set to play host to the world in the 2018 Winter Olympics. An international gathering of elite athletes, sports fans, governments and businesses on such a grand scale is a unique platform for taking a meaningful stand against the widely condemned, barbaric and inhumane dog and cat meat trade in South Korea.
We know you are busy preparing for this epic sporting event. However, we urge you to spare just a few minutes of your time to watch this video, as fellow people with compassion for animals, whether they are raised for our consumption or as our companions, working partners and guardians, we know you will agree that the current practice and attitude of those involved in this medieval industry is completely unacceptable and abhorrent. https://youtu.be/cCdTceduKcY
No living being deserves such a torturous existence. Forced to endure the most extreme deprivation and unimaginable torment from the moment they are born until the day they are brutally slaughtered; dogs (our best friends) are battery farmed - imprisoned in cramped, rusty, raised cages all their lives with no protection from extreme elements. They have no access to water, exercise, or medical care. Their eardrums are often burst to prevent them from barking. Until, often in front of other live dogs, they are electrocuted, hanged, beaten skinned or burnt alive in the ignorant belief that such suffering will improve their taste. Could you imagine this happening to your best friend?
This industry is by no means small scale, thousands upon thousands of dogs are factory farmed in this way every day, there is no emphasis on even the most basic and cheapest humane farming methods in this operation. This trade has no basis in promoting "culture" or tradition of the Korean people, it is purely driven by greed and the profits that can be made in this severely under-regulated, tax free sector which in itself is highly unsanitary and a severe risk to both human and animal health.
Please do not look the other way, please do not see this issue as a 'cultural difference', we urge you to look at this issue with unbridled compassion and to use whatever means or methods you can to add your voice to the many already calling for change in south Korea. This petition (www.koreandogs.org/noc-take-a-stand) is just a start, we urge you to add your voice to social media and other campaigns. Please use this unique opportunity to help change the lives of so many dogs and cats condemned to a life in the meat trade. If South Korea knows the world is watching and is asking for change, and if South Korea wants to be respected as a nation of conscience, South Koreans need to strengthen their abysmal and outdated animal welfare laws and permanently ban dog and cat consumption. Please help us to bring about this change!