Responses from Yongin
We have received the response below from the city of Yongin Livestock Department regarding our campaigns/petitions:
Yongin Suji-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
Yongin Giheung-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
Yongin Cheoin-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
Our campaign is effective because now they are aware that the eyes of the world are watching what’s going on in their district’s dog meat industry and bring this issue the attention and action from their government. Let’s keep up the pressure by taking action!
Below is our comments on the satisfaction survey regarding their response:
We are not satisfied with the response to our petition, due to the following key reasons:
it fails to substantiate and evidence what direct actions the Yongin Suji-gu District is taking to enforce existing laws to disrupt the entrenched dog meat trade in South Korea. We have not been provided, in this response, with any evidence of any direct actions taken by the Yongin Suji-gu District, such as recorded information relating to inspections, monitoring and actual enforcement action taken against violators, in relation to dog meat farming, slaughterhouses and businesses selling dog meat and dog meat products (such as dog elixir and dog soju);
it fails to show what actions the Yongin Suji-gu District is taking with regard to proposing amendments to existing legislation or bringing in new legislation to address and end the dog and cat meat trade, and
it fails to formally acknowledge the existence of the illicit dog and cat meat trade within South Korea and the problems this poses to human health, animal welfare and organized crime, which has been widely documented by both domestic and international NGO’s and animal charities (and has also been raised as an international area of concern by many western governments with South Korea and its diplomatic missions).
Response from Yongin Suji-gu District:
1. Related to the Waste Management Act
Food waste can be recycled as animal feed after registering waste treatment or waste disposal according to Article 25 and 46 of the Waste Management Act. The same recycling standards in accordance with Article 13-2 of the 「same law」 and 「Enforcement Rule」 of Table 5-3 of the same law. (answer department: city cleanliness section)
2. Related to “Feed Management Act”
○ In violation of Article 14 (1) and (2) of the 「Feed Management Act」 in accordance with the feed of food waste, is limited to “an animal as declared by the Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Food” in Article 11 paragraph 4. The dogs shall not be included.”
○ If leftovers are paid to dogs, they must be heated and treated at 100°C for 30 minutes or more in accordance with Article 8 of the Standards and Standards (No. 2017-28 of the Review on Agriculture, Food, Article 8).(Answer department: Livestock section)
3. Related to “Law Concerning the Management and Use of Livestock Manure”
Farms that breed dogs of a certain size or larger must report the establishment of emission facilities in accordance with Article 11 of the Act on the Management and Use of Livestock Manure.(Answer department: Livestock section)
4. Related to “Livestock Sanitation Management Act”
○ The range of ‘livestock’ required to slaughter in licensed slaughterhouses is the animal prescribed in Article 2, Paragraph 1 of the Enforcement Decree of the Livestock Hygiene Control Act, This does not apply to dogs.
○ Also, in the same Act, dogs are not included in the scope of animals intended for food.(Answer department: Livestock section)
5. Related to the “Animal Protection Act”
○ The consumption of dog meat is old eating habits of Korea, and it is judged that social consensus should be preceded in order to prohibit it,
○ It is hard to say that the electric slaughter under Article 10 paragraph 2 of the Animal Protection Act violated Article 8 of the same Act.(Answer department: Animal Protection section)
6. Related to “Food Sanitation Act”
○ A dog meat handling facilities is a general restaurant, which is a business reporting business under the Food Sanitation Act. There is no obligation to report the menu when reporting business.
○ At present, dog meat handling facilities are significantly reduced (closing or changing menus) due to increase in pet population and changes in consciousness. (Answer department: Hygiene department)
경기도 용인시 일자리산업국 축산과
김인배 contact +82-031-324-2321
1. 「폐기물관리법」 관련
음식물류 폐기물은 「폐기물관리법」 제25조 및 제46조 규정에 따라 폐기물처리업 또는 폐기물처리 신고를 하고 동물의 사료로 재활용이 가능하며, 「같은 법」 제13조의2 및 「같은 법 시행규칙」 별표5의3에 따른 재활용 기준을 준수하여야 합니다.(답변부서 : 도시청결과)
2. 「사료관리법」 관련
○ 음식물 쓰레기 급여에 따라 「사료관리법」 제14조 제1항 및 제2항에 위반되는 사항은 「사료 등의 기준 및 규격」 제11조 제4항의 ‘농림축산식품부장관이 정하여 고시한 동물 등’에 한하며, 개는 이에 해당되지 않음.
○ 남은음식물사료를 개에게 급여 할 시에는 사료 등의 기준 및 규격(농림식품부고시 제2017-28호) 제8조 제6항에 따라 100°C에서 30분 이상 가열•처리 후 급여해야 합니다.(답변부서 : 축산과)
3. 「가축분뇨의 관리 및 이용에 관한 법률」 관련
일정 규모 이상의 개를 사육하는 농장은 「가축분뇨의 관리 및 이용에 관한 법률」 제11조 규정에 의거 배출시설 설치 신고를 하여야 합니다.(답변 부서 : 축산과)
4. 「축산물위생관리법」 관련
○ 허가된 도축장에서 도살 하도록 규정된 ‘가축’의 범위는 「축산물위생관리법 시행령」 제2조 제1항에서 규정한 동물이며, 개는 이에 해당되지 않음.
○ 또한 「같은 법」에서 개는 식용을 목적으로 하는 동물 범위에 포함되지 않음.(답변부서 : 축산과)
5. 「동물보호법」 관련
○ 개고기 섭취는 우리나라의 오래된 식습관으로 이를 법으로 금지하기 위해서는 사회 적 합의가 선행되어야 할 사항으로 판단됨.
○ 「동물보호법」 제10조 제2항에 따른 전기도살(전살법)이 「같은 법」 제8조를 위반 했다고 보기는 어려움.(답변부서 : 동물보호과)
6. 「식품위생법」 관련
○ 개고기 취급업소는 「식품위생법」상 영업신고 업종인 ‘일반음식점’으로 영업신고 시 메뉴에 대하여는 신고 의무가 없으며
○ 현재 애견인구 증가 및 의식의 변화로 개고기 취급업소는 현저히 감소(폐업 또는 메뉴 변경)하고 있음.(답변부서 : 위생과)