Incheon Seo-gu’s response to our e-People petition
Application No.: 1AA-2010-0151855
Application Date: 2020-10-07
Incheon Seo-gu, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses and markets.
대한민국 인천광역시 서구는 불법 개농장, 도축장, 시장, 보신탕집을 폐쇄하라!!!
👎🏼 An English translation was not provided so we had asked for it through the “satisfaction survey on the petition handling process”.
📌 Please note: The South Korean government continues to deceive us with lies and excuses. Click HERE to learn more.
Civil Petition Results
organization in charge 인천광역시
staff in charge contact
processing date 2020-10-16
[주관부서] : 경제교통국 경제에너지과
[답변일자] : 2020-10-16 21:17:11
[작성자] : 장채현
[전화번호] : 032-560-4456
[이메일] : [email protected]
[답변내용] : 안녕하십니까? 귀하께서 국민신문고를 통해 신청하신(접수번호 202010121124092201) 청원에 대한 검토 결과를 다음과 같이 알려드립니다.
새올전자민원 답변 (english)[email protected]_20201016211711947_1.docx 다운로드
새올전자민원 답변(korean)[email protected]_20201016211711947_2.hwp 다운로드
Response to Civil Petition
1. Information on Civil Petitioner
Name Giny Woo
Application No. 202010121124092201
Date of Application 12 Oct. 2020
2. Civil Petition Results
Summary of Petition
○ Explanation on dog meat debate in Korea
○ Introduction of Incheon Seo-gu`s animal protection policy
Results ○ This is a response to your petition titled ‘Seo-gu, Incheon, South Korea, Shut down the illegal dog meat farms, slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants. (Applications No. 202010121124092201)
○ The controversy over Korea’s dog-eating culture has lasted for decades at both home and abroad. Recently, the number of companion animals in Korea has surpassed 10 million, and the perception that companion animals, including dogs, are part of the family not the property has spread across Korean society. Accordingly, the demand for dog meat has dropped sharply and the number of dog farms, slaughterhouses, and dog meat restaurants has greatly declined. Thus, these facilities are hardly seen these days compared to the past.
○ The current Livestock Hygiene Control Act of Korea defines the livestock that must be slaughtered in accordance with the law. However, as dogs are not included in such livestock specified in the law, imposition of legal restrictions against the dog slaughter process is currently not available. However, in a response to the public request on banning dog meat, the Korean government and the National Assembly are making multi-faceted efforts, such as the amendment of the relevant law and policy-making. The Seo-gu, Incheon Metropolitan City government assures you that it would fully cooperate in eradicating dog meat consumption when the national dog meat prohibition law is enacted in the future.
○ In addition, Seo-gu, Incheon Metropolitan City is implementing various policies to protect animals and improve their welfare. It grants the animal care expenses to the local animal protection centers for them to rescue and care approximately 1,100 abandoned animals every year, and promotes the animal adoption culture by supporting the animal disease treatment and diagnosis expenses for those who adopt the abandoned animals. The Seo-gu, Incheon city will continue to make efforts to create a city where both humans and animals live happily. The city government promises you that it will continue to pursue better policies to protect animals going forward. Thank you very much for your kind interest in our animal protection measures.
○ We hope that our answer could relieve your anxiety about dogs, and if you have further inquiries about Incheon’s animal protection policies, please contact the Animal Protection and Welfare Management Team (☎032-560-4455) of Seo-gu, Incheon Metropolitan City. Thank you.
Organization Seo-gu , Incheon Metropolitan City Government
Department Economy and Energy Division
Date of processing 16 Oct. 2020
Staff in Charge Jang chae Hyun, Senior Manager ([email protected])